Thursday, February 08, 2007

More frequent runs

I've been doing more frequent runs recently, aiming to keep the amount between 3-5 runs per week, even if it means running very slowly on some days.

At the same time, I've just completed my base weight training, which lasted three months. I finished 10 days of high frequency weight training - and a final week of high intensity weight training. For this last week it was very important to set targets for weights+repetitions and try to follow them. It gave me a nice sense of achievement. I will take the following week off and I'll pick up the effort the week after.

I think I am going to schedule my running workouts in the same way as my weight training work outs, with precise goals for each session. I'll only have time for those in the morning, it seems.

Now, skiing is not so easy to fit into the schedule. Cross-country skating is great - especially as a replacement for endurance-building runs at the aerobic - lactate threshold range. It is also a great exercise for hip muscles. Downhill skiing is another matter. All too often you cannot find an easy enough piste to ski down in. Last weekend I got my knees pretty tired from it. Ski touring would've been my preferred alternative, as it is a great workout plus it helps you to learn ski essentials. but there is not so much snow in the easier hill slopes and I am a beginner.

I wonder if that will leave me any time for swimming + water polo.

No comments: